Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Resolutions and Orca Bay progress

Happy New Year !

Today I managed to get into my studio later in the afternoon to do some stitching and formulate my quilting goals for 2012.

Given that Orca Bay has now been revealed I decided to do a couple of blocks to get an idea what the overall quilt would look like. 
I have to admit that I am not too happy with the Ohio Star blocks. They seem to get lost with the other blocks, lacking contrast.



Looking at the blocks before stitching them together, the blocks with the darker corners I am not too happy with and once I put them together I deslike it even more !
I tried various combinations to give these blocks some definition, including use of the same fabric to the corner squares but even that didn't work. The Hourglass blocks are the problem in some instances and I was not inclined to do more of them.


For the Ohio starts I should have used darker blue fabrics instead of the varieties of blues I used. I'm going to put aside for now what I have done until such time I come up with a different layout or use the blocks on another project.
I feel this has been a disappointing start to my quilting year....

On a more positive note, I have set out for myself for 2012, to complete 8 UFO's, at least to completed top stage. The rest of the goals will be to do a couple of new projects for gifts, try out new techniques and make smaller projects.

I hope you started 2012 inspired....

14 comments:

  1. What a shame you are not happy with your colour choices! Better to find out now when you can change things I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's not your fault. The design is a bit busy so it is rather difficult to combine all those colors.
    Don't you worry, it will worth the effort if you have fun doing it!!!
    Beijos,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same as you. I have started to put a couple blocks together as well to see how it would look and there is not enough definition. I think using all the strip blocks made it a little to busy. Since i haven't sone many of the red strip blocks I might try subbing in a Red Fabric to be a constant in the quilt. I think this will help to pop out the Ohie=o Star blocks a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Célia,
    gostei muito das estrelas, gosto muito de azul e achei que ficou ótima a escolha de tecidos em suas variedades de estampas e tonalidades. O que talvez esteja te desagradando mais, foi na hora de juntar os blocos. As cores dos tecidos não favoreceram as estrelas. Que tal optar por cores mais claras? as estrelas ficarão em maior evidência.
    Beijos e um Feliz Quilt 2012

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you are disappointed with your result. Your dark blocks look good, but there does appear to be less contrast in the light blocks:( I hope you can salvage all that sewing for a different project. Have you put all the Ohio Stars together yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. But they are lovely. I really like "blended" quilts. They are so very soothing.
    I hope you will make this quilt. It is so beautiful!
    XOXOXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Ohio Stars are very pretty! I see you have just got EQ7... would you like to see my new design for my Ohio Stars... I'm going to use them and leave the rest for now to go into something else ;) Elly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colors are really lovely. Did you trying putting a 3x3 block together? I wasn't really happy when I just did a couple, but the more I laid out, the better the definition got. I really like your colors. So sorry you aren't happy with them. Yours is calming like the time in morning when you are up and everyone else is still sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them scrappy better than with the same corners and think if you add more blocks the pattern will be clearer. The colors are really nice, so if you do not like your blocks I will gladly "adopt" them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how disappointing Celia! I haven't even tried to put mine together yet. I'm sure you will find a lovely way to use them all though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having blending with my lighter blues also. I am keeping mine. Can't imagine replacing any at this point. I found that after I accepted them, they looked better to me. I think yours look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Subee. I think that the yellow really brought them from their shyness and I think that they would make a lovely quilt with more definition that you might think with your sample. Mine is busy, but I'm seeing definition now that I have a larger piece. Only you can decide if you are happy or not, but I love them with the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice !!! I like your colors too !!! bravo for your choice !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have found that scrappy quilts need really strong contrast. Dark blacks and light lights.
    Then medium colors for the rest. I didn't put any dark or light blues in with my blues, only mediums.
    Where she has black, you've used a medium (blue) so you lose a lot of definition.
    This quilt has way too many pieces for me and I got tired of it. It's now all bundled into a box while I work on something with bigger pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...